The Adjacency Bonus is a game mechanic in Supreme Commander which gives discounts and production bonuses to structures positioned next to each other. The nature of the bonus depends on both of the structures, and can be very useful. Mass or energy can saved or produced, leading to a total of 4 possible bonuses.
To have and adjacency bonus, there must be two structures placed next to each other; one giving the bonus and one receiving it.
- Any structure which produced a resource is a bonus giver.
- Any structure consuming a resource is a bonus receiver, including other bonus givers (upgrading mass extractors)
- Additionally, Storages are bonus givers to resource producing buildings.
- Doubling the number of adjacent bonus givers next to a structure doubles the adjacency bonus on that structure.
The Bonus amount is dependent on the number of bonus givers which can fit around a bonus receiver. (minimum:4 maximum:16)
This means that the larger a bonus receiver the more bonus givers must be next to it to give the same bonus.
- A factory surrounded by 16 T1 power generators receives the same discount as a radar surrounded by 4 T1 power generators.
- A mass extractor surrounded by 4 storages receives the same percentage production bonus as a T3 mass fabricator surrounded by 12 mass storages.
A structure which produces a resource gives a discount to all structures next to it which consume that resource. It should be noted that only structures recieve this bonus, not any engineers assisting them.
The values in this table are given for one mass producing structure next to a 4x4 building; more mass producing structures would increase the discount. The typical discount value is to give you an idea of what you would most commonly see in game, and should not be used for calculations.
The percentage discount value depends on how much of the structure in question is surrounded by power generators - as structures can be of different sizes, different numbers of pgens fit around them.
This means that a factory that is 50% surrounded with 8 T1 pgens will receive the same bonus as, a radar surrounded by 2 T1 pgens - 12.5% for both.
In this table the discount percentages are shown for a fully surrounded structure.
It should be noted that mass extractors consume energy to generate mass, but T1 pgens should only be used for adjacency when the extractor is upgrading from T1 to T2 very early in the game, to save some energy while upgrading.
Any structure which produces a resource, when placed next to a storage of that resource, will produce a bonus percentage of that resource. This is most commonly seen when mass extractor are surrounded by storages to increase their mass income.
- Bonus is 12,5% per fully surrounded side by storages.
- Maximum is 50% bonus income for fully surrounded building by storages.
When placed next to power generators, static artillery units gain a rate of fire bonus which can be very significant, especially when considering that a 60% reload time can be achieved, and how much cheaper 4 T3 power generators are than a T3 artillery installation.
The values in this table are given when an artillery is completely surrounded by a specific power generator.