FA Forever Map Editor
- 1 Introduction
- 2 Setting up the editor
- 3 Useful shortuts
- 4 Create a new map
- 5 Basic map settings
- 6 Terrain Heightmap
- 7 Terrain Textures
- 8 Lighting
- 9 Armies
- 10 Areas
- 11 Markers
- 12 Props
- 13 Decals
- 14 Units
FA Forever Map Editor is a new map editor developed for FAF by ozonex. It is currently in alpha, which means the editor is in its testing phase, and some features are still lacking. However, ozonex expects to release a beta version soon.
Read all about the FA Forever Map Editor in this forum topic.
FA Forever Map Editor - to do and changelog.
You can download the current version here.
Setting up the editor
Before using the editor you need to set up your preferences.
Before loading any map you must specify the paths to your game and maps folder.
- Sup Com Forged Alliance installation path - Path to where the game is installed. It will also work with vanilla Supreme Commander, but always use Forged Alliance to get access to all the new assets. Use "..." to open folder browser. When using Default button editor will try to find the path by itself.
- Maps folder path - Path to where all maps are stored. The Alpha version can only load maps from that folder, so if you have maps in a different folder, you need to change this path or move the maps to the specified folder.
- Backup folder - Path where backups of old maps files will be moved. If empty, backups will be saved in FAForeverMapEditor_Data/MapsBackup/.
- Undo steps - Maximum number of steps saved in memory for Undo and Redo.
- Play map - Settings for using File/Play map. You can select a faction and disable Fog of war.
When the editor crashes or behaves in strange way it may be useful to send log to the developer. You can find them here:
C:/Users/[user]/AppData/LocalLow/ozonexo3/FAF Map Editor/
You can create or modify existing brushes used by the FAF Map Editor. Brushes need to be 512px x 512px grayscale PNG without an alpha channel. When opened, the editor will load all brushes from that folder. Brushes are sorted alphabetically.
You can find them in:
The editor supports several symmetry options for editing maps. You need to select the right one before making changes to the map, because everything you do will be symmetrical based on selected settings. To open symmetry settings go to Symmetry/Symmetry settings....
Tolerance is how far in game units the editor will search for symmetrical objects when selected. Matching objects will be selected as orange. If it can't find a matching object it will display a gray selection where it should be.
Create a new map
To create new map use File/New Map.
- Name - Name of the map. This will be also used to name folders and files.
- Description - Long description of the map. You can describe the history of the map here.
- Texture set - Set of stratum textures loaded to new map. If you know how do you want your map to look like, then select best set.
- Type - Type of map. Use Skirmish for Multiplayer maps
- Width / Height - Size of the map. When selected sizes are not square editor will create square map and clip it using Area.
- Initial height - Initial height of whole heightmap. Try to use the lowest value possible, but remember to leave some space if you want to have water on the map.
- Water - Toggle it on if you want to have water on your map. This can be changed later if you change your mind.
- Water Elevation - the height at which the water level is.
- Depth Elevation - the height at which the water is darker.
- Abyss Elevation - the height at which the water is very dark.
New map created in FAF Map Editor will be saved as:
Basic map settings
- Name - Map name displayed in game
- Description - Long description of the map. You can describe the history of the map here. Displayed in game when selecting maps.
- Version - Version of the map. Increase this value by 1 when you want to upload a new version of an existing map. If the name is the same and version is higher, then the map will be replaced with the new version.
Edit Armys Spawn IDs
Tool for changing order of existing armies. Army order is also order of spawn points. Tool also have Auto-Team preview. To switch armies click on box with army number and then select other army from dropdown list.
Scmap file format exist in 2 versions:
- v56 - Vanilla Supreme Commander map. Most old maps are in this format, because this is how the official map editor saves them.
- v60 - Forged Alliance map. This is a new format version containing additional procedural skybox. Can't be opened by old tools or by the vanilla Supreme Commander game.
If you need to open v60 map in vanilla or old tools, you can export skybox data to file and save it as v56. When done, you can import the skybox again and save as v60.
The heightmap is the base of whole terrain. It defines height for every place on the map. You can use built-in tools to edit it, or export/import to work with other software.
- Brush size - Size of the brush that we want to paint with. You can change it by holding down the B key and dragging over gameplay.
- Brush strenght - Strength with witch brush changes are aplayed to terrain. You can change it by holding down the M key and dragging over gameplay.
There are 4 types of brush
- Standard - Simple brush for increasing or decreasing terrain height
- Flatten - Finds the average height under brush and moves terrain to that height. Best uses as a strong blur.
- Blur - Smoothen the terrain. Good for removing sharp edges and softening the terrain.
- Sharpen - Increase difference in height
- Target height - Target terrain height for Standard brush. When painting it will change height to the target height.
- Min height - Minimum terrain height allowed by the brush. Terrain will be clipped when it's under that value.
- Max height - Maximum terrain height allowed by the brush. Terrain will be clipped when it's above that value.
- Rotation - Rotation of brush texture. Useful for some custom brushes like mountains.
Sun, shadow and ambient
Units are not yet implemented in FAF Map Editor. Use official Map Editor to add or edit units on map.