Setting Up FAF
Setting up the FAF client is very easy and FAF itself requires almost no setup after it has been installed.
As a general rule, you do not need any external links to mods or enhancements! The reason for this is: The FAF client automatically manages all mods and maps for you! So you simply need to consult the Map Vault and Mod Vault
There are also some mods integrated directly into FAF, which can be found here.
Installing The Client and Forged Alliance
- If you do not already own it, Supreme Commander: Forged Alliance can be found on the Steam store or other places.
- To install the FAF client, download it from here and run the installer.
- Once the game and client are installed, run Forged Alliance once to create a profile in it, then close it.
- Start the FAF client and go to the Play tab, then host a game. This will start the patching process and once the host game dialog appears, you can host a game, or close it to join another game.
- It patches the game separately from your current installation. That means that you can continue to use your original game and FAF concurrently – they do not “overwrite” each other.
- FAF might ask you to specify the Forged Alliance folder so just simply direct it to your Supreme Commander: Forged Alliance folder on your hard drive. If you bought Supreme Commander: Forged Alliance on Steam, the game is located in your Steam Library folder. To find that folder, start Steam, go to Steam - Settings, click Downloads, and click the STEAM LIBRARY FOLDERS button. The Steam Library folder has a folder steamapps\common, there you should find your Supreme Commander Forged Alliance folder.
- Your setup is now completed, but you may wish to add more to your experience by downloading mods and maps, but normally, any game you join, the mods and maps will be downloaded automatically, so you don't need to do anything else.
If the client doesn't display properly (e.g. black window), please check Client Graphics Engine to try different client rendering settings.
Linking to Steam
The FAF client includes a feature to link your account to your Steam account. This feature enables you to swap two Steam linked accounts on the same computer, to bypass the anti-smurf protection. For this to work you are required to have Supreme Commander: Forged Alliance in your Steam library. You can link your account to Steam here.
All other mods can be found in the mod vault, and can be used according to preference.