FAF has its own Mumble server that you can use to talk to your friends.
FAF offers automatic channel switching, letting you automatically group up with players from your team who also have this setting enabled. To enable it, check Options in the toolbar at the top of the FAF lobby, go to Voice and enable both options there.
What is mumble ?
Mumble is a voice chat application for groups. It’s an open source, low-latency, high quality voice chat software primarily intended for use while gaming.
You can freely use our Mumble server!
- Download the client.
- Connect to : faforever.com.
Mumble voice connector for FAF (by Rienzilla).
What Does It Do?
It will make sure you are automatically put into a voice chat channel with your teammates (or fellow observers), as soon as you launch a game.
The plugin will launch mumble, connect it to a temporary mumble server, and make sure you are moved in and out of the correct channels when you play games.
How Do I Use It?
- Install latest Mumble version from http://www.mumble.com/mumble-download.php
- Configure mumble to use Position Audio link : In Mumble, go to Configure -> Settings.
- Check the Advanced checkbox.
- Select the Plugins pane.
- Make sure “Link to Game and Transmit Position” is checked, and the “Link v.1.2.0″ plugin is enabled.
- Enable the Mumble Connector in Faf.
- In FAF :go to Options -> Settings -> Voice.
- Check “Enable Mumble Connector”, and click finish.
- Restart FAF.
Turning off Automatic channel switching (The default setting is that you switch channels whenever you start a game and it alt tabs)
- In FAF: Options (Top left hand corner) -> voice -> enable automatic channel switching (You don't want a check next to this)
Turning off peoples' names in the top right hand corner of your screen
- In Mumble: Configure -> Settings -> Overlay -> Options -> Enable overlay (You don't want a check next to this either.